* 1 lb beef flank steak
* 2 teaspoons white pepper
* 2 tablespoons fish sauce
* 4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
* 2 tablespoons palm sugar
* 8 cloves minced garlic
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
* 3 -4 tablespoons fish sauce
* 4 -6 minced shallots
* 4 -6 serrano peppers, chilis very finely minced or ground to paste
* 2 stalks lemongrass, remove outer stalk and slice very thin or grind
* 3 tablespoons toasted fine grounded rice powder
* 1 lb fresh tendersalad greens (I use the bagged spring mix from Trader Joe’s)
* 1 large thinly slivered red onion
* 1 bunch scallions or 1 bunch green onion, cut to ½ inch
* 1 cucumber, peeled & seeded cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
* cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes or wedges tomato
* 1 lemon, cut in half lengthwise and very thinly sliced (toss into salad for garnish/flavor)
* 1 cup fresh mint leaf, roughly chopped
* sticky rice
1. Prepare a batch of thai sticky rice (aka thai sweet rice) to serve with this salad.
2. Beef Marinade: Mix ingredients in a ziploc and let meat marinade from 2-24 hours in liquid.
3. Char grill or broil meat to med rare, about 3-4 minutes per side.
4. Let rest at least 10 minutes then slice VERY thin (1/4” or less) against the grain.
5. Use very high quality, tender meat for this dish, you want it to be fork-tender and melt-in-your-mouth!
6. Dressing: Mix all dressing ingredients together 1+ hours before serving salad.
7. (Be sure to taste and make any necessary adjustments…dressing should be SPICY, Sour, Salty and a just a wee bit Sweet in that order) You may want to make extra dressing to spoon over the sticky rice.
8. Salad: Pour half of dressing over the red onions, lemon and cuke in a LARGE salad bowl and let them absorb the flavor, 15+ minutes.
9. Add lettuce, tomatoes, scallions and MINT along with the rest of the dressing.
10. Toss the salad until all ingredients are very well coated and mixed.
11. Dish Salad onto plates and top with slices of cooked beef, make sure plenty of dressing is included in each serving.
12. Add a serving of sticky rice to each plate.
13. Sticky Rice: Soak 1-2 pounds of Calrose Rice in lukewarm water in a large bowl for 3 hours- drain& reserve water to use in steaming.
14. Line bottom of bamboo steamer (the stackable sort used for veggies and such) with parchment paper (or cheesecloth sprayed with Pam).
15. Fill steamer with soaked rice and cover.
16. Pour rice soaking water into wok or dutch oven, add some fresh water until approx 3” depth.
17. Place steamer over water in pan, bring water to boil then reduce to strong simmer-- don’t let water cook away.
18. Steam rice for approx 25 minutes, let sit an additional 5 minutes with lid on.
19. To Make Toasted Rice Powder: Toast raw sweet rice in a saute pan on top of stove just as you would sesame seeds-- until very light golden brown.
20. Use a coffee grinder, blender or food processor to grind to a fine consistency- I like mine fine as white sugar but any testure from cous cous, cornmeal, flour, etc is just fine.
21. Adds an interesting, nutty and essential flavor to the dressing.